South Africa’s Andy Birkett won the short course final at the ICF Canoe Marathon World Cup in Portugal yesterday.
Birkett beat Portuguese star José Ramalho and Hungarian K2 world champion Adrian Boros comfortably to give himself the perfect confidence booster ahead of today’s long course K1 race at the same venue.
Meanwhile, South Africa’s Jean van der Westhuyzen won a bronze medal at the Junior Sprint World Championships in Minsk, Russia.
Marathon World Cup (short course) – Portugal:
1. Andrew Birkett (RSA) 14:13:31
2. José Ramalho (POR) 14:17:81
3. Adrián Boros (HUN) 4:24:41
4. Quentin Urban (FRA) 14:29:37
5. Stéphane Boulanger (FRA) 14:32:04
6. Ádám Petro (HUN) 14:42:49
7. Mads Petersen (DEN) 14:43:49
8. Jakub Adam (CZE) 14:45:47
9. Jérémy Candy (FRA) 15:05:73
10. Filippo Vincenzi (ITA) 15:20:71
Junior Sprint World Championships – Russia:
1. Jacob Shopf (GER) 3:40:04
2. Magnus Gregory (GBR) 3:40:41
3. Jean van der Westhuyzen (RSA) 3:42:88