The SPAR National Netball Championships‘ preparations have been disrupted by floods in Durban.
Netball South Africa chief executive Blanche de la Guerre said they would be inspecting the courts on Monday to see if they would need to choose an alternative venue.
Contingency plans have been made to find another venue if there had been too much damage at Hoy Park.
She said the event could not be moved from Durban because the teams had already booked their transport and accommodation.
This year’s championships will follow the same format as last year when teams represented provinces rather than regions.
“This is a major event on the national netball calendar, appropriately played in women’s month, and our official opening ceremony will take place on national women’s day.
“It’s the largest interprovincial of any sporting code played at one time, with over 800 players representing 39 regions,” said De la Guerre.
The tournament will have an U21 section and a senior section.
All members of the SPAR national team who will be travelling to New Zealand for the Quad Series against Australia, New Zealand and England, will be playing at the national championships.
“We won’t have a training camp in South Africa before the series and playing in the national championships will give them much-needed game time,” said De la Guerre.
De la Guerre also confirmed that the U21 SPAR Baby Proteas would be playing in the national championships. This past weekend the U21s were unbeaten in the African qualifiers for next year’s World Youth Cup.